- 1/2 loaf Italian or any bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups total)
- best quality nonstick cooking oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, cubed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 sweet green bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or equivalent amount of fresh
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees .
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and generously coat with the cooking oil; toss, coat again, then toss again.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden.
- In the same large bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, basil, bell pepper and olives; toss to coat well. Add the bread cubes then toss gently.
- Can serve immediately but it is good after chilling for an hour, allowing bread to slightly absorb dressing.